[3830] Commonwealth VA7ST Open-12 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 13 11:42:13 PDT 2011

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Open-12 HP
QTH: BC

Total:  168  Total Score = 2,600

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Bands were not good here -- the polar opening on 20M Saturday morning was short
and weak. Was thrilled to work ZS1EL and P29CW on 15M.

BC Hydro line noise was prolific on 20M-10M beaming anywhere east of Europe at
30 degrees. Good news this week: the 50-year-old offending substation 2 km
away, at 87 degrees, will soon be decommissioned. It has been a bacon-frying
noise source on all bands since 2004, despite many attempts at fixes by the
utility. The dream of having a non-industrial noise floor may come true, just
in time for life above 20M! I'll be able to hear at least another tier or two
down into the noise.

40M offered a few VK/ZLs and even a few Gs late Saturday night. All worked well
even with the SteppIR dipole at just 27 feet in the air due to some rather windy
weather.

80M was a wasteland with just three VE3s and J68 in the log.

The rare catches on 10M and some good 15M Qs with VK/ZL helped offset the lack
of 80M action, so I just managed a personal best. Just.

Year       Qs   Points
March-11  168   2,600  HP 8.0 hrs
March-10  186   2,525  HP 5.5 hrs
March-09  149   2,125  HP