[3830] Commonwealth VO1HP Multi-Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 13 15:44:58 PDT 2011

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VO1HP
Operator(s): VO1HP
Station: VO1HP

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: St.John's NL

Total:  348  Total Score = 4,000

As usual an enjoyable contest but wasn't motivated to stay on all day and
night.
Conditions were not good and at times things were very slow as it seemed that
there was no one to work.  Many persistent callers from Italy and Russia - who
didn't seem to get the idea that they we not going to be worked.

Did poorly on 80/40 due to my regular dipole having developed infinite SWR
sometime during a recent storm.  It is permanently affixed to the top of the
tower so no way to do a repair without cranking down and luffing the tower
which is not a recommended practise in winds and -2C!.   I jury rigged an
existing 1/4wave 40/30M sloper to work on 80 by addition of a trap and pigtail.
 It worked but was very noisey......used my K9AY effectively to pull out a few
of the weaker callers.

Missed 2100Z - 0200Z while attending a Soc. Nfld Radio Amateurs Supper & Song
fund raiser to help support it by bringing my group along to play some
bluegrass.

Used the cluster throughout the period to mainly look for rare DX.  Was pleased
to work 9M6/VO1AU .....hope I'm in your log Dave.

LotW & eQSL

73 Frank VO1HP