[3830] WiQP NE9U SO Mobile LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 14 22:04:58 PDT 2011

                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U
Station: NE9U

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

    2:          2
  UHF:
--------------------
Total:  885     2  Mults = 62  Total Score = 173,296.0

Club: Central Wisconsin Radio Amateurs

Comments:

For various reasons, we started the contest from home and ended up at the
up-nort cabin on Sunday night.  We also planned an entirely new route that,
unfortunately, didn't have very many good roads (I am not good with motion
sickness and I think I came VERY close to messing up Arts radio on our leg from
Shawano to Lily (Shawano, Menomonee, and Langlade Counties)  I'm guessing that
trip would be very pretty in early October for the fall colors though!  Nice
hilly, windy road along the Wolf River.  We missed a couple turns earlier in
the contest that also slowed us down.  Our total trip was a bit over 300 miles,
down from our usual 350 miles...but we still managed to hit 17 counties and
amazingly, we were only 2 miles from my cabin in Florence County when the
contest ended. (we really hadn't planned things out that thoroughly!)

For the most part, everything went smoothly. Art (N9BCA) had sold our long-time
radio (TS-850), so we ended up using his Icom 756 pro III.  I may not have had
it entirely figured out, but it didnt seem to blank our ignition noise quite as
effectively (well when noise blanker was on it distorted signals, so I left it
off.  Plus it didn't seem as selective in distinguishing the pile-ups as the
old 850 (Or maybe I'm not!)  But all in all, no real problems.

We tried to continue our tradition of an after-contest Steak dinner, but there
aren't a lot of eating establishments to choose from in Florence County, let
alone finding one open at 9:00 on a Sunday night.  Luckily we called a place 15
miles up the road and he was just closing but agreed to stay open and fry us up
some burgers.  Thank You!

Thanks to everyone for calling in.  Great time as usual.

Scott  NE9U
Art  N9BCA