[3830] WiQP KB9OWD SO Fixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Mar 15 17:04:48 PDT 2011

                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: SO Fixed LP
QTH: Dodge County

  160:
   80:   82     45
   15:           1
   10:           1
  UHF:
--------------------
Total:  305    331  Mults = 111  Total Score = 156,676.5

Club: Fond du Lac ARC

Comments:

My best showing in this one yet...  we'll have to wait and see how the score
holds up.  I started off good and had good sustained runs all 7 hours with no
real luls.  Started with 125 in the first hour and was happy with the rate all
day even though it slowed a bit as the day went on.

40 was the place to be all day and was in great shape here.  Late in the
afternoon, it was a blast.  With the pile 3 or 4 deep, the first would be the
next county over, the 2nd a call up north, the 3rd a east coast and the 4th the
west coast.  What a blast!

I went to 20 CW and couldn't get alot going.  The 113 on 20 phone are over
about an hour stretch.  I had a good clearing on 14.240 and the rate picked
right up.  Was working coast to coast with a very good opening.  Both east and
west were loud and even had a few WI and surrounding states call in with good
signals.

Went to 80 only for the last hour or so and that helped the CW numbers.  My
only 15 and 10 meter QSO's were with W9MIM, about 5 miles away who I moved and
worked on 5 bands.

The only thing I regret is not listening better to the mobiles early on.  When
40 is like it is, I like to start on phone there and really knock off alot of
mults in the first hour or so.  With the rate like it was on CW and then to
phone later than planned, I missed alot of mobiles in their first few counties.
 I think this likely cost me 5 easy county mults I should have had.

I worked 44 of the 50 states, missing CT, RI, SC, SD, HI and ID.  I actually
worked 3 different ND stations but could not stir up a SD.  In talking to WI9WI
Monday evening, I understand that there were a few CT on that I never found but
never heard any of the 6 missed.  Worked VE2,3,4,5,6 and 7 for provinces and
the only DX was Mike as KP2/K9NW on 20.

Rate hours from the top of the hour were (I think):

18Z - 125
19Z - 101
20Z - 102
21Z - 98
22Z - 78
23Z - 71
00Z - 63

In addition to the 44 states and 6 provinces, worked 61 counties, down 5 from
last year.  Again, the first 2 or so hours really hurt that.  I feel I left 5
or 6 mults out there I should have had.

Thanks to everyone for the qso's!  Was a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Great to bump into so many friends both in and out of state.  See you in a week
and a half as KZ9O in WPX SSB.

73,

Ryan KB9OWD