[3830] Rus DX DL1IAO(@DL0WW) SO CW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 20 06:31:02 PDT 2011

                    Russian DX Contest

Call: DL1IAO
Operator(s): DL1IAO
Station: DL0WW

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: JN49FO

  160:   159             44        48
   80:   367             53        56
   40:   490             68        64
   20:   661             80        75
   15:   374             77        58
   10:   111             51        19
Total:  2162    0       373       320  Total Score = 9,586,962

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

2x IC756Pro3(INRAD) + Alpha87A
TopTen decoders, WX0B bandpass filters, Idiom Press CMOS4's & homebrew
2R-switching

WT v3.23.0 on 3x HP Omnibook XE3

(160) 27m shunt-fed tower, Mag-Loop (RX)
 (80) Bobtail (NW/SE), Delta Loop, DP @10m
 (40) 3el M2 Yagi @20m (linear-loaded), DP @10m
 (20) 5el M2 Yagi @27m
 (15) 5el Yagi @25m
 (10) 6el Yagi @24m (sharing tower with 40m)

My YL suggested to shift station setup to Thursday after work. So we spent
Friday evening & Saturday morning together and I felt really relaxed when I
switched on the radios and started to check propagation at 11:30Z. Nice!

Condx were better than last year, even on the low bands. I did not have a real
10m opening but tried to ionize the band a bit and finally squeezed out some
multipliers again. On Sunday almost all signals were extremely weak scatter and
actually peaked at about 150deg.

I still miss a real RX antenna on 80/160m and something to cover a second
direction on 20m to work some US at the same time. Isn't it nice to have a few
things left on the wish list?

I expect to see some big CW scores from I4DZ, LZ8E, LZ5R, S53MM etc. Compared
to them I never get much going into Russia on 40m early in the evening and I
just return to 20m for another 1 or 2h until the band dries out. That's the
time where the QSO gap always opens and it continues until the end. I also need
to S&P for those eastern Oblasts on 80/160 as they rarely answer my CQ. However,
I was delighted to even work some UA0 there and I'm happy with the score.

Glad to see T70A (IZ3EYZ) and HB9CA (DJ5MW) having so much fun on their contest
expedition. Good ears, too, thanks for 6 bands!

CU in the next one,

73,

Stefan
DL1IAO at contesting.com