[3830] VaQP WK4P SOAB/Mixed QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 21 13:03:34 PDT 2011

                    Virginia QSO Party

Call: WK4P
Operator(s): WK4P
Station: WK4P

Class: SOAB/Mixed QRP
QTH: West Jefferson, NC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    4      0      0
   80:   25     55      1
   40:   20     89      2
   20:    0      0      0
   15:    0      0      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
  UHF:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:   49    144      3  Mults = 60  Total Score = 15,440

Club: Appalachian Contesters

Comments:

Sometimes you just get caught up in a contest and lose track of reality.  That's
what happened to me in the VaQP.  For some unknown reason I decided to run QRP
again this year, you'd think I would have learned my lesson last year.  Anyway
had a lot of fun trying to get my 5 watts through.

Some folks have good ears and can hear a weak signal right off.  Some will
battle with you to pull your call and info out of the mud.  And some just will
not even attempt to work you if you're weak.  I've never quite understood the
latter, as I always try to get every contact when I'm running QRO and hear weak
stations as I know every QSO counts.  Hearing is as much a challenge as being
heard and good ears can pick you up points just like a big amp can.

It's a blast getting through pileups running QRP.  Something about using
operating skills instead of brute force is fun.  But it's frustrating being
told repeatedly how weak you are.  Talk about putting the quiatus on your ego.
I'm used to running QRO in contests and getting told how strong my signal is.
Every now and then I'd get a "good signal for a qrp" comment but mostly it was
just how weak I was.

Where were all the digital guys.  I called quite a bit on PSK31 but only made 3
digital contacts :-(

A special nod to the K4EG expedition.  Those guys were solid everywhere they
went.  Thanks for pulling my QRP signal out several times on both phone and CW
over the weekend

Peace and 73
Adam WK4P... The Power(less).