[3830] Rus DX M5E(G0CKV) SO CW LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 21 15:01:34 PDT 2011

                    Russian DX Contest

Call: M5E
Operator(s): G0CKV
Station: G0CKV

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Nr London

  160:    55    0        33        20
   80:   124    0        46        49
   40:   184    0        54        57
   20:   429    0        58        71
   15:   311    0        43        57
   10:     9    0         6         0
Total:  1112    0       240       254  Total Score = 4,329,416

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

A single K3 â€" what a great receiver it has â€" and temporary antennas at my
London suburban QTH.

A very wet Friday forced me to wait until Saturday morning to put up the simple
temporary 40 and 20/15/10m antennas here and after 4 hours of fast work I felt
more like taking the weekend off resting but when the contest started I
persevered. One of these days I ought to get organized and put up something
more permanent.

160/80: Inverted L, 46m long and bent to fit space, vertical bit abt 7m
40m: Inverted V with apex at about 8m on temporary push-up pole
20/15/10: Cushcraft D3 trap dipole at 6.5m on the same pole

Bands seemed fine but 10m never really opened. I’m surprised at how much I
could work with this simple setup - it is really fun and satisfying. My
antennas are shielded all around by dense vegetation and houses. Running is
painful when using poor antennas and low power â€" big guys with sharp elbows
step on you pretty soon. Some 90% of the QSOs were S&P which I guess led to
pretty good relative multiplier total and high average QSO points. DX pile-ups
generated by the cluster are a waste of time when using this simple setup â€"
I’m better off turning the knob myself to find stations to work. I like the
rather more demanding RDXC rules but I recognize that my short contest call
with a single trailing dit might lead to more missed QSO points than usual
where the other guy might have busted my call.

I hadn’t planned to do this contest but changed my plans when changing family
plans opened up an opportunity to improvise some activity. I set out to do 40m
single-band CW but saw in the rules that you are supposed to do mixed if
single-band and doing phone with low power and wet strings is no fun. So I
switched to all-band CW and was aiming to just chase oblasts for fun but with
plenty of stations heard I guess I ended up doing the real contest.