[3830] WPX SSB AD1C SO(A)AB(TS) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 27 17:33:45 PDT 2011

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: SO(A)AB(TS) LP
QTH: CO

Total:  804  Prefixes = 480  Total Score = 1,015,200

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Radio:    ICOM IC-7600 (100W)
Antenna:  HyGain AV-640 multi-band vertical
Software: WriteLog 10.84

Holy cow!  I bet some (or many) records will be broken this year.

This is the first time I've broken 1M points in any contest from Colorado (my
goal for this one was 500K).  I am sure it will be less after log checking.  I
was very paranoid this year for some reason about serial numbers, both what I
copied, and what the other station copied.  I took notes, so I can compare to
the LCR net year.  For some reason, ARRL SS seemed easier in my mind.

My wife was in Mexico all week, and I picked her up at the airport after 0z
(Saturday evening local time).  I kind of mentally checked out of the contest
at that point.  I did work about an hour around local midnight, and had
better-than-average success working Europe on 40m.  I got back on Sunday
morning, but two hours past sunrise so didn't catch anything on 40m.  I
operated until about noon local time, went shopping, then caught the last 1.5
hours.  I didn't know if I could break 1M points (I had "quit" with just over
900K), but I managed to squeak by with about 10 minutes left.  A bunch of new
USA prefixes, with lowish serial numbers, put me over the top.

Conditions on 15m were even better than ARRL DX SSB. In fact, during the last
hour of the contest, I was hearing an EI and a JA on the *same* frequency on
the upper end of 15 meters, and about the same signal strength.  Just like the
old days!  The JA opening on 15m Friday night lasted well past 02z, but seemed
to get shorter each night.  My only Europe on 10m was a couple of EAs, however
EA8s were loud both days.

My biggest thrill came outside the contest.  Saturday around 14z, I found Karl,
HS0ZDG on 20m with a decent signal but he couldn't hear me.  That is one of the
last two zones that I have not yet worked from CO.  I then saw VU4PB spotted on
20m CW, tuned down there, and found he had a good signal, but there was a decent
sized pileup.  After probably about 15 minutes, I got through (remember, just
100W and a vertical). I really could not believe it, as this is the *first*
time I've ever even heard zone 22 from here (the other of the last two zones).
Their signal continued to improve after working them, but I went back to the
contest.  By the time I realized that he had gone to RTTY, the pileup was too
big, and I called for a while but with no success.  I did see that V85/9M6XRO
was spotted about 2 kHz down, and though he was weaker, I worked John easily
for an all-time new one on RTTY (#310).

Thanks to everyone who got on the air, especially those who traveled to put a
unique prefix on the air.  Without you, the bands would be pretty quiet!