[3830] WPX SSB WK5T(N2IC) SOSB15 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 27 19:04:45 PDT 2011

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: WK5T
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SOSB15 HP
QTH: New Mexico

   15: 2490

This may sounds nuts, but 15 meters was too good this weekend. During the core
of the EU opening on Sunday (1330Z-1800Z), it was completely impossible to hold
a frequency for any length of time from the western USA. The whole world wanted
their slice of the 247 kHz we have to play in, and being out west, we are 2-3
hours late to the party ! Either the Europeans would crowd you out, or you
would discover that another USA station, inside your skip zone, was on the
frequency. And then the skip would shorten, and that "weak" backscatter signal
suddenly became S9+40, and you're in a frequency fight ! (My apologies to
AJ9C).

Lots of fun after 19Z both days, once the spectrum pressure valve was released.
Many solar cycle 24 firsts. First time being able to run EU and JA at the same
time around 21Z. First nighttime over-the-pole openings to UA9 and UN. To my
surprise, the number of JA QSO's was down by only a handful from last year. My
thoughts go out to all my friends in JA, especially those in JA7. The number of
BY's was double from last year ! The number of USA worked was down by 100+, Why
? Too busy working DX ?

Rig: TS-590S, Alpha 76CA
Antenna: 6 elements, 40' boom, KT-36XA

One parting note: I seriously operated 4 phone contests this season. That's
about 3 1/2 too many.

73,
Steve, N2IC