[3830] WPX SSB KZ9O(KB9OWD) SOAB(TS) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 27 19:09:20 PDT 2011

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KZ9O
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: WI

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

My best outing so far in this one.  Topped by best score by a half mil and first
time over 1,000 q's on SSB.  The plan for the weekend was a M/2 with this call
up at W0AIH as we did in the last few years.  They had a major snow event and
Paul was literally snowed in Wednesday night.  He also took a direct lightning
hit and had some equipment damage so the decision was made to throw the towel
in on the M/2.  I then utilized the call down home way and entered SOAB LP T/S.
 Antenna's were a TH7 at 50' and a 80 meter 1/4 wave tuned to 80 and 40.

I got a late start on Friday as I got held up at work.  I didn't even get home
until 0100Z and didn't get on until almost 0145.  15 was still decent to the
west coast and VK.  I worked several VK's and a few JA.  Although the band was
open that way, I never heard a ZL all weekend.

I stayed on until 0745Z and took 4 hours off to sleep.  15 opened early on
Saturday and was wide open to EU by 1215Z or so.  EU was wide open both days on
15.  Best EU conditions there from here in a long time.  However, that's not
completly "all good" in this category (T/S) from this location.  The loud ones
are loud, some huge, but the splatter was unreal with some really wide signals.
 Once the loud ones are worked, that's about it for a bit and it can hurt rate
and score.

I did my normal "run" with these conditions.  I will find a half way clear
slot, slide in a CQ, pick off 6 or 7 til I am pushed off.  That worked rather
well actually this weekend.  I could not hold a frequency real good to EU all
weekend, but the "mini runs" amounted to some good mults and points.

The JA opening is a bit better, less signals, a bit more wiggle room from here
and I was able to run JA way both days on 15.  Sunday was much better than
Saturday with a very nice JA run to help the score the last hour.  I planted
way up on 21.435 and it stayed pretty quiet on both sides.  The JA signals were
huge and my LP seemed to be loud there.  That was fun!  No real juicy DX on
Sunday during that run.  Was nice to be called by B1Z on Saturday while beaming
JA.  On Sunday the qrm was a bit much and I was getting frustrated late morning.
 I took a half hour morale break to DX, went to CW and remembered what filters
do for a band!!  I ran EU high speed on 15 CW and logged about 70 or 80 in a
half hour.  That brought my blood pressure down and I was back in the game.

20 was the opposite for me.  I never felt loud there and needed many, many
fills.  Hard to find new ones to work after awhile too.  I never ran to EU at
all, just couldn't fit in anywhere and I didn't feel that loud on S & P anyhow.
 Needed many fills.  If you heard my CQ message, you noted I changed it up to
"contest, kilo zulu nine oscar, kilowatt zanzibar nine ocean".  For some
reason, many kept goofing zulu for sugar....  If I had a dollar for every time
someone said "Kilo sugar nine oscar" I could build a station and host a M/M for
the CW portion.  The change to zanzibar seemed to help.

I ran on 40 but only domestically.  40 actually seemed really good on Saturday
evening and was able to work a little DX that were calling.  My CQ's as
expected were answered locally with the exception of a few SA and a VK Sunday
morning.  40 overall didn't seem too bad though.  All my 160 numbers are from
about a 10 minute stretch Friday evening.  80 was noisy and didn't seem too
active while I was there.  Kept my nighttime focus on 40.  Also a nice over the
pole opening Saturday night on 20 kept me off 80.  UA0 and JA still coming in a
midnight local.

10 meters was never open that I heard to the U.S. from here.  All SA and a few
AF stations.  Pipeline to South Africa Saturday morning.  5D5A was about 40
over on Sunday for a long time.

Also, before I forget, many folks took the KZ9O for K9ZO.  I can't remember all
the calls, but Ralph, if your reading this, half the contesting world says HI.

Did anyone besides myself get jammed/hassled by the "and listening" guy
somewhere out west on 15 Saturday?  He found me CQing and told me homosexuals
(not said so nicely) are not allowed on 15.  He then would blast "and
listening" after each on my CQ messages were done.  I was sleep deprived but
instead of it irritating me, I was laughing out of control so bad that I almost
had to move as I was having a hard time composing myself.  Anyone else graced by
this guy or was I the lucky one?  If my VOX was sticking this guy could actually
be somewhat helpful!

I am happy with my effort.  Alot of BIC time.  On Saturday I was literally up
for 10 minutes to run to the store down the street to the deli for a hot lunch
and 1 bathroom break in 18 hours.  Sunday I took 2 hours off in the afternoon
to watch some hoops.  However, my butt is sore.  Longest stretch of straight
BIC in a long time.

Thanks alot for all the QSO's.  I had a good time and am happy with my turnout.
 Going to be some huge scores I think!  Not sure what is up for WPX CW but I'll
be on from somewhere hopefully and dabbling in a few in between.

73,

Ryan KB9OWD (KZ9O)