[3830] WPX SSB VP2EH(N5AU) SOSB15 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 28 05:55:19 PDT 2011

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: VP2EH
Operator(s): N5AU
Station: VP2EH

Class: SOSB15 HP
QTH: Anguilla

   15: 4360

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

After ARRL SSB, we got the rest of the 15 meter stack operational and decided to
give it a good test in a world-wide contest.   Conditions were very good into
Europe with many of the deeper Asian areas coming through as well.   HS, 9V,
BY, EX, and YB, VK and others all calling with the EU pile-ups, but there
didn't seem to be very many Africans on this year.   Maybe I just missed them.

Conditions to JA were good both afternoons with the strongest signals peaking
at 10 to 15 db over S9, but as usual it's very difficult to sort out the
massive pile-up calling.   Many of big gun stations made it through easily, but
others were harder to pull out.   Add in the USA pile-up and it's extremely
difficult.   I called for JA only below the USA phone band as long as I could,
but didn't have much luck there.

Conditions to the USA were not as good, especially the first day.   During ARRL
SSB with the flux at 155 there were sustained runs all day on both 10 and 15
with an endless supply of callers.    The average USA signals during WPX were
clearly down and QRM was way up.   I guess you can't have everything in any
given contest.

I had the usual dupes call in, some for "insurance" contacts, others calling
due to a busted call in their log, etc.   I don't recall any instant pile-up of
dupes from a busted packet spot this year.   Everyone can do without that and I
certainly appreciate missing out this time.   I will echo the comments from
other DX stations:   Listen to the call FIRST...don't just call blind from a
packet spot.   Even if you feel lucky, just don't do it!

Thanks to all the callers and hope to work you in the CQ WW contests this
fall.

73

Gordon N5AU
VP2EH