[3830] WPX SSB K3IE SO(A)AB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 28 18:00:45 PDT 2011

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K3IE
Operator(s): K3IE
Station: K3IE

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: AL

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

This is the tale of 2 contests in one.

Rather than use the obligatory list of excuses/blame of why the weekend was a
bust (Wife with the Honey-Do's, equipment woes, local QRM), I am taking the
"high road" and blaming no-one but myself - it was self induced.

Just before "gametime" Friday afternoon, in a moment that can only be described
as insanity, I decided I would try the SOAB LP category with my modest station -
on SSB no less.  After beating my brains out Friday night running 100 watts to
my HexBeam (25 feet) and wires on 160/80/40, having few q's and no fun, I
consulted my therapist (Tim - KY5R) who prescribed a heavy dose of "mo power".

That was the cure - I fired up the AL-811 (backup amp since primary KW amp is
in the shop)and starting having some fun (as much as a CW op can on phone). I
"ran" from the LP category to that old friend (HP) and enjoyed providing my
contesting brethren with that rare K3 prefix.

Thanks Tim - I needed that.

- Hunter K3IE