[3830] WPX SSB GM5X(GM4YXI) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Mar 29 13:59:34 PDT 2011

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: GM5X
Operator(s): GM4YXI
Station: GM4YXI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ellon

   20: 1501
   15: 2000

Club: North of Scotland CG

Comments:

So good to have some decent conditions again - it has been so long!
It was a bit of a last minute decision to do this one properly - Thursday night
to be exact.
Working up until Friday late evening so I was thinking 'sleep or you won't
survive, even if it is only 36 hours'. I think in retrospect that I made some
tactical errors in choice when to be off. Being off 00-04 both days meant my 80
and especially 40m score suffered, missing those 6 pointers.

No hassles with the weather - calm and a little rain only.
No antenna or shack failures, except the operator decisions and a PC that kept
locking up - still not sure why.

For me Sunday was not as good on 15 or 20, compared to Saturday. Did not really
spend a lot of time on 10m listening but I don't think there was any significant
opening for me on that band. Usual 5B4 opening am and PY/LU in the afternoon.
Strange sudden rise in band noise for few minutes on 15m Sunday afternoon
around 1700 - really do not think it was 'local' - ?Solar noise. Wonder if
anyone else heard it.

SSB contesting - as some have observed on the reflectors already - is really
getting tough. QRM and splatter are becoming quite 'poisonous' IMHO. Trouble
is, those who have such signals benefit - I do not believe it is accidental.
Given all the difficulties we have policing some of the unwelcome aspects of
this game, it strikes me that, with the ease of signal recording these days,
this at least has the potential for attention by contest sponsors. There were
clearly times over here in EU when 40m was a wall of noise and none of the CQ
machines were working anybody.

Thanks to all who called. CU in the next one, and hopefully as ZK2V in
CQWWSSB.

Keith GM4YXI / GM5X