[3830] WPX SSB 4W3A(VK2CZ) SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Mar 30 00:10:21 PDT 2011

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: 4W3A
Operator(s): VK2CZ
Station: 4W3A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Dili

WPX SSB Contest activation 26 / 27 March 2011. ... another long weekend away
from Sydney for me...  fully story shortly with Bernie W3UR

25MAR2011 Arrived in Dili on 25 March, and secured an neat HF location pretty
quickly. that said, the AC Power reliability will generate some qrt moments for
sure. Minor dilemma with re-validatiing the licence here, not that my 4W3A
licence/certificate has never been cancelled or withdrawn, and sadly will only
be able verify my licence as 100% on the monday after the event. Just want to
be 100% open here with everyone, there is a small chance this operation may not
get off the ground. paperwerk . ughh. Will be meeting the Minister of
Communications on Monday as I understand, as other ARCOM staff could not help
today.

26MAR2011. Got antenna up OK, then received written confirmation from ARCOM
Spectrum Mgt to confirm callsign and licence are 100% OK, but must renew it
before I leave the island. With just 100w, made pile-ups on 40m and oddly on 6m
with 6m busier than 10m ! had a equipment flame out with a spike from the
occasional (daily) AC power blackouts here. Will send ARRL a full copy of my
paperwork, as I'd hate for others to suffer a lost prefix/country because of
any gap in my paperwork.

27MAR2011. Decided to elevate the vertical, and now able to run on 40m, 10m and
6m. Never had one antenna that allows me to switch from decent 6m qso's thru to
80m.and just low power antenna, cables and power supplybeing scrapped tomorrow
morning (at end of event), maybe turned into something enterprising by the
locals. My Tetum and Portugeses opened some doors with CT and EA stations
surprised I did not learn this earlier.

Will get the logs to my UK based QSL mgr about 10 minutes after the event. I
know some will use express post ;-}

Rig is IC-7600, 30m of RG8X and 'big' homemade vertical and broadband 80m thru
6m matching.  Antenna, ground radials and matching alll weighed in at just
2.7kg !!

Obrigato.
David Burger VK2CZ
Sydney.

PS.. the heat I received and self combustable 6m community went nuts over the
50 odd qso's on 6m.. and after so many asked me to push that "50" button on my
radio for the first time.. now will probably will be the last time I put that
%^%$ "50" button on my radio when I go to these islands.