[3830] FlQP VE4EAR SOABMixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 1 18:42:55 PDT 2011

                    Florida QSO Party

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:   56     11
   20:  243     57
   15:    3      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  302     68  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 33  Total Score = 134,200

All great QSO parties are successful because of the mobiles. These mobiles in
Florida are absolutely fantastic. Copying CW (and sending) while flying down
the highway, with all the noise, vibrations and distractions is just plain
amazing to me. I struggle in a quiet shack in a comfortable environment...my
admiration and gratitude to all of you mobile operators (and drivers).

Very difficult conditions for most of the contest. Only found a handful of
fixed stations on 15m on Sunday, nothing on Saturday. We usually have a 15m
pipeline  to FL most days.

20m was short for most of Saturday afternoon. Later in the day the band went
long and signals improved but many stations headed to 40m, just when the band
would be picking up for all us western DX stations:) 40m was noisey Saturday
night with snow and high widn static, not to mention AU effects. Again, those
mobiles were fantastic even on 40m.

Started Sunday needing 4 Mults for the sweep, 6 on CW. Knowing I hadcommitments
in theafternoon,Ichecked the schedule  and figured keeping a close tab on K4OJ
would be my best bet to land the sweep. Started right at 1200z only to find 40m
was way too short. Every now and then I could just make an ESP contact with a
station on 40m while 20m was booming to FL, just not many signals. The first
hour was very unproductive until folks headed to 20m. Unfortunately a couple of
K4OJ's first few counties scheduled were the ones I needed. By the time I found
him on 20m, it looked like I had missed the chance for the sweep.

Fortunately, there was plenty of activity from WAG, WAL, SAN and OKA that by
1630 the CW and mixed sweeps were completed.

Wish I could have devoted more time on Sunday, but life happens outside amateur
radio sometimes.

Everywhere I tuned I was hearing VE1RGB, VE3's KZ and DX. With 100W I had to
wait in the Canadian line behind them in most pileups.

My Mobile tally puts N4TO on top with the most Q's.

N4TO/M	31
K4KG/M	28
N4EEB/M	26
K4OJ/M	23
K1XX/M	21
N4AO/M	16
KN4Y/M	13
K4Q/M	10
W4WQ/M	10
KC4HW/M	8
AD4ES/M	7
K4XS/M	6
K2ZR/M	5
K1KNQ/M	4
K2CIB/M	3
K2HVN/M	1

K4KG'"sscret" SSB frequency was an excellent source of doubling up on the Q's
and Counties.

My apologies to N4BP for the dupes on Saturday. My hearing brain and typing
brain were disconnected as I had entered you as N4PB in the log.

Once again thank you all for the patience in pulling me out of the noise!

73 Ed