[3830] WPX CW K1LT SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 29 20:42:29 PDT 2011

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ohio

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I didn't have a specific goal for this contest other that to beat my
2009 score (didn't operate 2010 because of a work conflict).  This
year I had the X7 at 60 feet, compared to mere verticals in 2009.

I had a very enjoyable run during the last 4 hours of the contest,
CQing on 20 meters, and then switching to search and pounce on 40 for
the last hour.

I got on 160 for a few minutes around 0400Z the second night, and
worked a few US stations, leading to a couple of 6 band contacts.  I
did get called by EG8DDC, which seemed like a strange call.  QRZ.com
says "special callsign" in Spanish (I'm guessing).

One goal was to work more countries on 80 meters, but I didn't spend
much time on that band.  Another goal was to work more countries on 10
meters, but the ionosphere wasn't very helpful.

I had a very nice run on 20 meters for 3 of the last 4 hours of the
contest, which accomplished all of the increase in score of this
contest over 2009.  The X7 appears to work.

Someday, I might try to put up a second tribander, so I can use the
diversity mode in the K3 all of the time.  The Beverages run out of
steam on 15 meters, and don't hear much of anything on 10.  The
Beverages do help on 20 meters.

This contest seems to be more "polite" than any of the other
multi-band contests.  Maybe everyone has a more "for fun" attitude
rather than all-out war?

Equipment: K3, ETO 91B (as always, thanks, Jeff), Cushcraft X7 at 60
feet, ground mounted vertical on 40, 65 foot "tee" on 160 with 3 wires
for 80 arranged in a "cage" around the "tee", and 10 of 12 Beverages
(2 are buried by a fallen tree).