[3830] WPX CW N2WN SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon May 30 05:05:18 PDT 2011

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Grainger Co., TN
Operating Time (hrs): 33:34

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Thought I was going to have to go SO-40 at the start of the contest, my SteppIr
kept shutting down (looks like it was just a bad connection, but was worried
about further lightning damage from another storm that rolled thru). I had
hastily rigged up a sloping dipole for 40 after the Delta loop support rope
snapped, had planned to change over to a vertical system anyway so never put a
new rope up. Jury rigged a lousy matching system for the 160m Tee and got the
top hat wire back up Friday. The propagation numbers looked like 160 might
really matter (it didn't).

Started on 15 as 10 seemed dead and found a nice variety of Pacific stations
on. Managed to get most everyone I heard, missed on VK. Checked 10 out again,
found a couple loud SA stations and little competition, then moved back to 15.
It was well after dark so dropped down to 40 to see what was going on there,
was tickled to actually be able to work EU, often on one call. Keep in mind
that this was a low dipole, was really happy with how it was playing. Dropped
to 80, it was kind of quiet, but managed HH2/PY1ZV for DX. Back to 40 for more
EU, SA and now OC, plenty of 6 pointers. Finally before I pulled the plug for
the evening I made it to 20, worked some EU and western US. I closed the night
with 40 and 80.

Up later then I had planned, but as it turned out, no too late. Started on 40
and picked up a few more OC 6 pointers and a few new multipliers. Moved to 20
and was really bummed not to hear much going on, heard the big guns calling but
not getting much action from EU. Found a number of NA and SA stations and worked
them. Moved back to 40, then 20 then 15. Kept hoping for some EU action, but it
was a slogfest. Went off and did yard work, weather was too darn nice to be
inside. Still amazed I spent as much time in the chair as the clock sez.

20 began to pop into EU later in the day. Stations were really strong and many
QSOs were way too easy for QRP. It always amazes me how some stations are just
like 100 over s9 and are deaf as a post calling CQ over and over while just
down the band is a little pistol from the same place who answers the first call
and bing bang bong is in the log. I knew it was going to be an interesting
evening when I worked 4L0A. Asia Minor was "easy" for a change, was really
tickled to land 4K6FO, a tough country from her even LP. Worked a few Asiatic
Russians and found A73A pounding in. REALLY happy with all the Asians QSOs, no
JA worked, just couldn't get heard on 20 or 40.

One of the other pleasant surprises was T70A, never seem to break the pileups
when they are on non-contest, but landed them on three bands QRP. Go figure!

I had set a goal of 700 QSOs and 300+ multipliers (last years winning combo by
n7ir). The 300 came and went with plenty of time to go, and all the six
pointers made a difference. Exceeded my goals, then it came down to by how
much.

Managed a few runs, but couldn't hold clear frequencies very long, as was
expected. Stuck to my guns on not getting hung up over something "needed" and
moved on. Usually checking back a bit later provided a QSO. Sweep and cal, and
band rotation worked well. Gut feelings paid dividends too, seemed like I hit
bands like 10 at just the right time.

Overall I was very pleased with the effort, my best to date in WPX. Thanks for
the patience and repeats, sorry about a couple dupes, did catch one mis-copy
that way.

Nice to work many friends and have a bit of fun. See ya in IARU, maybe
something before then too.

72,
Julius
n2wn