[3830] WPX CW WK5T(N2IC) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon May 30 07:50:50 PDT 2011

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WK5T
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: New Mexico

   20: 1273

Lots of QSO's from here in the southwest USA, but mostly 1-pointers (but, thank
you, USA !)

Being this far south does have some advantages when the conditions are this
disturbed. No problems working JA on 40 meters - they had a minimal amount of
flutter, while, at the same time, most USA stations were almost uncopyable.

Daytime conditions on Saturday were the worst I have ever heard them. 30
minutes after sunrise, 20 meters was still completely dead. Spent several
minutes making sure the receiver and antenna were still working. Thank goodness
this contest has required off-time. I took 8 hours off during this time.

My summary is something like this: The first 6 hours were great, the next 6
hours were flutter city, the following 12 hours were awful, and the last 24
hours were just New Mexico average.

There were a few high points: Outstanding propagation to VK and JA on 80 meters
Saturday morning during the hours before sunrise - maybe the best I have ever
heard. Unfortunately, not much activity. Nice polar opening to UA3/UA4 on 20
Saturday night. Nice EU opening on 20 Sunday morning 1500Z-1700Z. Excellent Es
on Sunday for lots of USA on 15 meters.

Continent distribution:

NA: 59.7%
EU: 13.8%