[3830] WPX CW K4RO SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue May 31 05:34:59 PDT 2011

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TN

   20: 1151

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Enjoyed the contest, despite the pretty crummy DX conditions. Messed up a little
bit on time management, and lost about an hour of operating time in there
somewhere. This was a challenging contest at times, and very fun at other
times. There's nothing like a real band opening to bring your spirits up, after
hours and hours of closed DX paths.

Friday night featured a strong opening to Asia, then the DX paths closed down
for much of Saturday. Like others, I thought perhaps I was having antenna
problems. Wound up taking more off time when I am usually running EU DX
pileups. Both days, propagation seemed to improve as day turned to night. The
local weather was good for a change, and there were no thunderstorms in the
area for the entire contest. Sunday afternoon and evening featured the best
openings to Europe of the entire contest.

I can make a lot of QSOs in this contest, but I never seem to rack up enough
points to be even slightly competitive with the big dogs. I try to work as much
DX as possible on every available opening, but I still wind up way down in
points per QSO. WPX CW is still a fun contest to operate, and worth the time
commitment on a holiday weekend. C U all in the IARU HF Championship.

73, Kirk K4RO