[3830] CQWW SSB VP2MDG M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Nov 4 10:10:57 PDT 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP2MDG
Operator(s): AD4J, K2DM, K3ZM, K6AAX, W4GKA
Station: VP2MDG

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: VP2M

  160:  143    10       14
   80:  291    23       54
   40:  740    23       81
   20: 2258    34      109
   15: 2345    35      119
   10: 3281    30       92

Club: FRC, NCCC, PVRC, FCG, SECC

Comments:

This year Peter (K3ZM), Jim (AD4J), Glen (W4GKA) and I (K2DM) were pleased to be
joined by Patrick (K6AAX).  We decided to enter the MULTI-2 category to give
everyone a bit more time running as opposed to tuning around.  Despite a number
of setbacks (some major, some minor) we had a wonderful time, and we handed out
the VP2M multiplier over 9,000 times.

Before the contest even began, we lost the front end of one of the K3s (mine,
darn it), one of the amplifiers (to a sticky relay) and the new 40M yagi (which
worked fine Thursday, but showed a very high SWR on Friday).  So we dug the
Kenwood TS-570SG out of its permanent home in a Pelican case in a kitchen
cupboard and made it RUN2, doomed to run 100W throughout the contest.  In the
last couple of hours before the contest started, we put up a 40M dipole, with
K6AAX and K2DM tying the ends off in the dark.

We had a lot of fun the first night.  AD4J started us off on 20M on the primary
station and got us going nicely.  Then we put the young stud K6AAX in on 40M
with the dipole, and he rocked.  About 500 Qs later we let K3ZM do the 80M/160M
thing until 20M opened with K2DM at the mic.  During much of this period W4GKA
did what he could with the low power station.  During the day it was off to the
races.  With 10M so wide open we were able to use the 100W station to run there
while the KW station ran on 15M and 20M.

K6AAX and K2DM were the designated overnight ops Saturday.  I wanted the KW
from about 0300Z-0430Z to pick up our totals on 80M and 160M, then I turned it
over to Patrick for more 40M fun.  I moved to the other station to find it on
20M with a VK4 on frequency running Europeans.  Much to my glee I could hear
the EU stations, so I got a nice run going with 100W.  Can’t you just have so
much fun when conditions are great?

We put W4GKA on the KW station to start the high band runs on Sunday, and we
shared until K6AAX closed us out on 20M.  With about 40 minutes to go Patrick
looked over at Glen and me at the second station, where things had slowed to a
crawl on 15M, and said that we needed to pick up the rate if we were going to
hit 9,000 contacts.  We told Patrick that it was all on his shoulders from here
on out.  Glen and I actually went to 160M for the last 20 minutes or so, and he
made a handful of contacts, while Patrick blew through 9,000 Qs.

Once again our thanks go to David and Clover Lea, proprietors of Gingerbread
Hill, where we are always welcome.  And thanks to everyone who fought the
pileups to give us points.  Believe me, we know it can be tough at times!

Until next time,
George K2DM / VP2MDG