[3830] SS CW K8MFO Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 6 07:20:47 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K8MFO
Operator(s): K8MFO
Station: K8MFO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 4+

Club: East Lansing DX Club

Comments:

My operation came to an abrupt end at 0223Z when I worked K0NE in Nebraska, and
realized I had run out of sections to work.   What a letdown!   I had even
worked WA1UJU in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, hoping that would count as a
double multiplier, but the rules did not permit.

KK8D was over earlier in the day for an antenna party, and he convinced me to
do an 80 in 80 effort, which I did.    Sat in the chair for less than 5 hours
and accomplished the goal.   When you search and pounce, limiting yourself to
one QSO per section, you sometimes need to be creative.   Thanks to VO1BQ and
K0NE in particular for finding me, calling them!   This is the second time that
K0NE has provided NUMBER LAST in CW SS.

Just for kicks, I looked at my 1961 CW SS log, which, miraculously, I was able
to find.   In that year I made 179 QSOs, and I took a close look at who I
worked.   Well, 50 years later K4BAI and W0ETT made it in the log again, still
using the same calls.   K4PUZ is of course now N4ZZ and we worked again.   I
did hear others from 50 years ago using new calls, but I had run out of
sections to work.

Used a K-3 with an 80 meter inverted L,  single element Mosley on 40, and a
Mosley PRO-57A on 20, 15, and 10.   The PRO is up 124 feet, a bit high for
domestic work, so I had another secret weapon, the driven element from the
TA-33 of DX legend W8BKP.    At 48 feet it worked very well.

I take my limited time in the chair very seriously, and it's nice to hear so
many old timers still pounding away, and to hear more recently licensed folks
like VY1EI continually improve their skill level.  You sounded great, Eric.

Another one down the chute.  Hope there are more sections to work one of these
years.

73

Don K8MFO