[3830] SS CW KK7S SO Unlimited LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 6 20:48:00 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KK7S
Operator(s): KK7S
Station: KK7S

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: WWA
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

I managed to meet both of my goals in this one -- a sweep and 1000+ Q's -- so
I'm pretty happy with it.  It was a big improvement over last year. I hope I
don't lose too much in scoring.

All of my extra QSOs this year came on 15 meters.  That band was amazing.  I
put up a homebrew 15m moxon at about 30 feet in time for this contest and it
performed like a champ. I felt like I had a Russian KW and an aluminum forest.
But I imagine a hunk of random wire at 30 feet would have been pretty darned
good today on that band this weekend.

As usual, I blundered a bunch.  I kept trying to hold my run frequency while
doing S&P on the 2nd radio, but with the long SS exchange, it's very hard to
time this right, and it led to all kinds of QLF.  I'd inevitably get my brain
and fingers tied in a knot and I must have asked for fills in 40% of my QSOs.
On the bright side, I only lost my run frequency a couple of times.

I also messed up my schedule and ended up having to work my last 1.5 hours of
the contest while taking care of our 2 young kids and baby.  I was using skype
and remote desktop on my laptop in the kitchen to work S&P on 20m and 40m while
feeding the baby and making dinner for the kids.  Brings a whole new level of
complexity to contesting...  According to N1MM, my rate during that time was
about 27Q's/hr.  Better than nothing.

80m is just horrible with my location and antennas.  Next year my strategy will
include avoiding that band as much as possible.  I'll take all of my off time at
night.

As always, it was great to work all the regulars from NS sprints and WWDXC.
Thanks for the Q's (and all the fills, too).

-Chadd KK7S