[3830] SS CW K5NZ Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 7 05:11:45 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K5NZ
Operator(s): K5NZ
Station: K5NZ

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: stx

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Congrats all Q guys, some really great scores and ops! And to everyone, it seems
the level of skill and consideration was as great as condx! Not once did a HP
jump on my QRG and just blow me off.. Fills were done professionally, quick,
just was a pleasure to be on the air this weekend!

Last minute got the itch to operate. But wait have no antenna for high bands
and only a 40m dipole working. So Sat morning I worked on a broken TH6 on the
ground and get it somewhat working, throw up a pulley on the tower and pull it
up to 35ft and zip tie it to the tower pointed N. (Photos on QRZ.com) Got TR
running and TS590 set up ready to play. Wow, condx were outstanding and had a
better start than I have ever had running Q class! Didn't even miss not having
SO2R at first because I could actually CQ very low or high in band and get
answers! But after a few hours it got very slow and really needed SO2R, sure I
missed my 4 mults because of it. It was fun but could only manage 16.5 hours
then the 20 rate bored me out of the chair! Thanks everyone for the Q's, really
enjoyed the time on the air.

Never heard NE,NL,NT,MB..

Biggest surprise.. having K9PG call me with a SJ...Been so long since I've
heard him on the air had no idea who it was! Thank PG!

Other biggest was making over 150 Q's on 40 with a dipole at 40ft! 40 was so
quiet here, it was unreal!!!

So it made me realize you can still have fun in a contest with minimal
equipment/power! Heck I may pull it back up for SS SSB........SSB....... Nah!

nz