[3830] SS CW W4AU Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 7 05:59:53 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W4AU
Operator(s): W4AU
Station: W4AU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had hoped to put in a full 24 hours this year, but really needed to get out
Sunday afternoon and take a hike on a wonderful Fall day! Also, my butt, ears
(brain...), and back needed some exercise and some relief from the chair and
CW.

It was a pleasure to get an unassisted sweep again this year. As the experts
say, "If you call CQ, they will come to you!". This was indeed the case for all
the rare ones like NT, PAC, VE4, and VO1 (worked 4 NL's this year!). Got called
by VE4 on 10 for my last section Sunday afternoon, and then was called by
another VE4 on 40 Sunday evening. The ever-elusive VY1 called me on 40 Saturday
night; it is always a great relief to get that one out of the way.

One of my ICE BP filters began acting up early on, which made SO2R difficult on
certain band combinations. Despite this problem, I had more second radio
contacts than ever before in SS, without toooo many blunders... The Thursday
night NS practice has certainly helped my SO2R abilities.

I would have liked to have finished up on 80 Sunday evening, but for some
reason I did not feel very loud there and opted for 40 where the rate was
better. I have to check into my 80 dipole and coax because 80 is usually my
strongest band.

I was aiming for 1000 Q's, but am very satisfied with my score, and, of course,
it gives me something to shoot for next year from my little pistol station!

Thanks to all for the Q's and especially for those hard-to-find mults.

73 - John, W4AU