[3830] SS CW W1VE(@K2LE/1) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 7 06:45:08 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1VE
Operator(s): W1VE
Station: K2LE/1

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Vermont

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My SS operations started the year after I was licensed, in 1976, and although
I've not made every one, I sure enjoy making as many as I can.

This was my first outing using the YCCC SO2R box we set up at K2LE/1.   My goal
was to break 1200 QSOs, and I ended up a bit short.   Murphy raised his ugly
head before the start of the contest -- the 20m Stack was non-functional (it
died during CQWW SSB).  I could not seem to get any production on 20 and 15,
and it shows.   In addition, about 10 hours into the contest, one of the
amplifiers started having a relay problem -- so I ended up doing S&P on the 2nd
radio low power.

It took at while to get used to the SO2R box using N1MM -- but once I got the
hang of it it was great.

As always, 40M was the production band, and Andy's 3-ele @ 100' smoked as
usual.

I had a great time horse-racing with W1UJ on Getscores.org -- Awesome job, Jay,
and congrats on getting the station together!  Lots of east-coasters on
getscores -- let's get EVERYBODY posting.   It's great motivation to keep your
butt in the chair.   At one point, when I was 10 or so QSOs ahead of W1UJ, I
took a 10-min break to eat some dinner.  Oops -- Jay took off and never looked
back.

My last sections were VT(!), RI and NL.   VY1EI called in early.   I had the
sweep by 9:30 am Sunday morning (a little later than usual).

Still a bunch of confusion between Dennis, W1UE and myself, W1VE.  Had to stop
many stations and correct the call.  It will be interesting to see how many
logs get dinged.

It's funny how you work people in SS and it brings back memories -- I worked,
in very close time, Pip, WB4FDT, Chris, N4YE, and Bud, W4YE -- all great
friends from many years ago when I lived in VA and Did VN/4RN/EAN traffic
handling.

Thanks a bunch to Andy, K2LE for the use of his station!

See you in a couple of weeks in SS SSB from W1VE operating as W2PV (from K1TTT.
WMA, not VT -- that's why the different call).

73.

Gerry, W1VE