[3830] SS CW W4MPS SO Unlimited LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 7 07:34:46 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W4MPS
Operator(s): W4MPS
Station: W4MPS

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Clayton, NC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a personal best for me, so I was very pleased.  Many thanks for the
great operating advice from the "vets" at PVRCNC; that really helped.  I'm
proud to be part of that fantastic group.  I ran low power, FT-950 into wire
(W5GI at abt 60 feet favoring E-W).  I also shot an old G5RV into the trees
favoring N-S, figuring it would help pick up more east coast stations on 80 and
40.  But almost invariably, the E-W W5GI performed better on the N-S stations.
Interesting.  Hoping to have an 80 mtr horizontal loop up for next year's
Sweeps.  Chased VY1EI (NWT) for quite a while for #80 but finally got him.  I
also thought it was interesting that I wound up with more Q's on 15 than I did
on 20.  10 was fun also.  I thought that band would be more crowded than it
was, but exciting to hear it coming back to life.
73
Marc, W4MPS
Clayton, NC (FM05tp)