[3830] SS CW N8XE SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 7 13:27:50 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N8XE
Operator(s): N8XE
Station: N8XE

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Ohio

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Third clean sweep in a row!!  I ran more than I s&p. I am getting much better at
calling CQ. In fact, I probably enjoy it more. It seemed that I got off to a
slow start until I got into the groove. I got my sweep in Sunday afternoon when
I finally worked OK. N5XE was calling CQ (nice call IMO).  Thanks to WM3O
(K3LID) for messaging me on where NT was calling.

New this year was the SB1000.  That combined with the Hexbeam proved to be a
nice combo.  Also new this year was the Heil Pro Set Elite that I picked up
from Universal Radio on Saturday. What a nice set of headphones. I am looking
forward to SSB Sweeps now with it.

Murphy arrived twice this year. One thing was that the software I had failed to
change bands a few times when I changed bands on the radio. This caused a
headache where I had to go back and edit all those contacts. I got it fixed.
The other thing was I had the antenna switch on the wrong antenna when I was on
40M. I thought I had it on the dipole but it was still on the beam. I had the
amp going. Amps make funny sounds when you have it going into an unmatched
load! Bzzzttt! Crackle! Buzzzz!! Luckily, there was no POP! or smoke.  The amp
is still fine and outputting full power.  On 10M, I just called CQ without the
amp to see how well I would do (also did this on 15). Turned out pretty good.