[3830] SS CW KR2Q Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 7 15:07:13 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: FN20ru NNJ

I love QRP, but.....

Wish I had been more pumped about this one; my heart just wasn't in it.  I
think coming off the great power outage and spending time cleaning up so many
broken limbs and living in a one room EconoLodge rental for so many days took
its toll on me.

On the plus side, I have never encountered so many other QRP stations during
the SS.  Did I miss some sort of announcement or something?  They were all over
the place!

Highlights were snagging NH2T on one call(even though I already had several PAC
mults) - not bad for QRP - and having a VE4 answer my CQ (my only MB).

Heard VY1 but gosh that was a big pileup...thought I'd wait to even try.  Guess
that was a mistake.

Most difficult QSO:  I was calling CQ on 80 and I heard this weakest of weak
signals...is he call me?  After a few overs, I found it was W7RM.  After
several (felt like "many") repeats, I finally got his exchange.  Apparently, he
had no trouble copying me, but with only a simple inverted V, I had plenty of
trouble copying him.  But the QSO made it into the log.  Wow...2x QRP on 80,
coast to coast.  And that QSO number he gave me?  Surely that was a mistake
(but it wasn't).  BIG NUMBER!

Low point: reading all of the comments on 3830 by other QRP entrants who say
that entering QRP is somehow "torture."  Not me...I LOVE QRP.  Every QSO is a
joy and something to celebrate.  Gee guys, if it so "bad," why do you do it?

de Doug KR2Q