[3830] SS CW W7IY Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 7 16:26:26 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W7IY
Operator(s): W7IY
Station: W7IY

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to W4NF for inviting me to use his station. His antennas gave me the
ability to run on any band, which is an important part of the mix of operating
styles for QRP ops. John's wife provided some contest friendly food, which
allowed me to keep operating without visiting the microwave oven. ;)

It was difficult to choose a band and it seemed like people spread out over the
higher bands. Operators were very friendly and didn't mind requests for
resending info. Given the strict analysis, people understand how important it
is to get it right. Of course, holding a frequency as a QRP op is tough. hi hi

10, 15 and 20 were open much longer than last year. Originally, I planned to
only work 20, with checks to 15/10. However, I ended up spending a significant
amount of time on the higher bands. On Sunday, it was a good idea for me to hit
40M earlier than normal to catch the other guys coming down from the higher
bands.

I would also like to thank W4RM for operating advice. I tried to stay up until
4:00 AM, but don't think I made it. ;)

73's and thanks for another fun contest.

Stu2
W7IY