[3830] SS CW K3MM SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 7 21:36:21 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K3MM
Operator(s): K3MM
Station: K3MM

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Boy it felt strange to be on 10 meters from the east coast in SS!  40 and 20
were the money bands as predicted from the east, but I couldnt ignore some
great conditions on 15 and even 10 for some grab'n pounce and even a few CQs.

I made a lot of repairs to the antennas just before the weekend, but of course,
when I fixed some things, I found others wrong!  The big thing was getting my
shorty 40 beam repaired and a low inverted V up which certainly helped me out
on that band.  I found out too late that the matching relay in my stackmatch
was open up on the tower somewhere, so had to run with single tribanders on the
upper bands.  My big surprise was that my low tribander at 38' on 20 meters was
the optimal antenna during the day!  I dont think that has every happened
before, but maybe it's just been too long since we had sunspots!

Started the contest CQing mostly, but fairly soon I moved into "grab&pounce"
mode, which seemed at least as fast for quite a while.  Overslept Sunday
morning, so missed some good rate there and only had about 1/2 hour left to
take off until the end.  Sunday I moved into SO2R mode knowing that I was
pretty far behind the leaders, but there was lots of time left and a fresh head
to receive in stereo headphones.  Later that morning one of my Alpha 87's
decided it didnt want to play anymore so I had to take a few minutes for an amp
change...whipped out the 'ol TenTec Titan.

N1MM was rock solid all weekend with just a couple of minor bugs that didnt
affect operation.

73, Ty K3MM