[3830] WAE RTTY K7MKL M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 13 18:21:25 PST 2011

                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K7MKL
Operator(s): K7MKL, W6NF
Station: K7MKL

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Silver Springs, NV

   80:    2    2           8
   40:  134  134         126
   20:   84   84          92
   15:   65   65          78
   10:   77   77   40     76
------------------------------
Total:  402  402   40    380  Total Score = 152,760

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I had visions of 550+ Q's at 1630Z on 11/13. Ten was in fantastic condition and
I had some QTCs under my belt. QTC is intimidating but I finally worked up the
nerve to try when signals from EU got to S9+. Then my Mom told me she needed to
go to the hospital ER...that was it for the WAE RTTY!

A couple of things: Why did a few stations insist on sending their NR in SE
fashion...i.e.: WIY for 286. Made no sense to me. I did not figure it out until
well after the first station did it to me...he'll find that were a NIL for him.
Afterward I started entering the numbers but don't know if that was proper
since numbers are NOT what we received.

Also, both of us had runs going on 20 meters, me on Friday at 14.103 and my XYL
on Saturday at 14.098. In both cases, after having run for some time, a loud
digital signal (non-RTTY) appeared with a nearly continuous signal in an
obvious QRM attempt. We both assiduously avoided known digital mode frequencies
but some of these guys are obviously wanting to stake out more spectrum and have
NO regard for anyone else. This is a good reason why I object so strongly to
consolidation of RTTY/digital in single ARRL awards!

Regardless, both my XYL (K7MKL) and I had a hoot with our new antenna and tower
on 20/15/10 and will be back next year.

Jack, W6NF