[3830] SS SSB K3TN Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 21 03:11:18 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3/KPA500 TS-850/Ten Tec Titan to Windom at 45'

Saturday was spent hiking to the top of Snowy Mountain, PA with WA3SEE to
operate a K1 with a dipole to activate the firetower summit as part of the
Summits on the Air program. What a contrast - at 1700z I was listening to the
pure tones of QRP CW operators from a quiet hilltop, then a few hours later got
home and sat down a bit late, put the headphones on and joined in the
BWAAMWAAMWOPBWAP  sounds of SSB SS.

As much as I love CW SS, the SSB version doesn't have that thrill. Its like the
 difference a crab cake and a fish stick to me, probably cause I'm not a great
fone operator. But it also has a different rhythm, different patterns to it
that I've never caught on to. Its kinda like going to Home Depot after years of
going to Lowes for hardware  - the same parts are in there but in slightly
different places so I can never find anything.

So, SSB SS is just an effort to feed the PVRC battle in the annual competition
with NCCC. I worked VE8EV and the other hard VEs early on, and the hard 6's
called in while I was running so I had the sweep pretty early. I mostly focused
on trying out SO2V S&Ping on the high bands, and running on 80/40. I had the
headphones in stereo mode pretty much the whole time, just to get used to
hearing radio/vfo A in one ear and radio/VFO B in the other as I slowly edge
towards SO2R.

A lot of great phone ops out there, but a lot of really awful sounding audio,
too. Nice to have old friends, like Ketchup Mayonaisse 3 Tomato drop in. I
always gave QSO number 466 to someone who gave me back #666 with a check of 66.
I got duped a lot, I don't know if Bill W3TN was out there or K1   TN was
miscopied, but a few are going to find NILs. Good to hear a lot more S stations
on for fone SS.