[3830] SS SSB W4NF SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 21 05:51:00 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4NF
Operator(s): W4NF
Station: W4NF

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

For the SS CW I let W7IY operate my station as a Q entry and he did very well
for the third year in a row.  I had put up a Fullwave Horizontial Loop on 80
Meters which has worked very well during past SS contests for both SSB and CW.
Stu said it worked well during SS CW this year.  It just was not the antenna for
80 SS SSB though.  The dipole at 85 feet did much better as the band was much
longer.  I tried to use the old startegy of going from 20 to 40 to 80, each a
little earlier than the crowds to stake a good run freq.  Instead I should have
stayed with the run rates on 20 and 40 longer before switching bands.  I need to
be more adaptive in my strategy and take what the bands give me rather than
trying to force a strategy that has worked in the past.

I operated with only one radio this year as my second feedline had failed
during the summer so I only had one feedline to the Sixpack at the tower.  I
will be running two new 700' runs of 7/8" HL in the next month or two so I can
get back into the SO2R game.

I only had one run in with the Pig Farmers on 80 meters this year and if they
would address me in a fashion that did not include profanity and threats then I
would be more likely to move to another frequency.  I also had some EU station
giving me crap on Saturday night on 40 meters that I was operating on a
frequency that I guess he in fact owns exclusive rights to.  It is some EU
station with a 4 element 40 yagi which makes him the owner of the band.

Still it was fun and I do love running rates at the beginning of the contest.
Thanks for the Qs and I'll CU in the next one.

Rigs:  (2) FT 2000s (for SO2R)
Amps: Alpha 99 and Alpha 8410
Tuner:  Ameritron ATR-30
Contest Logging: N1MM
SO2R: DXDoubler
DVK: FT-2000 Internal (FH-2)
RTTY:  (2) mircoHAM USB II interface
Mic/Headphone: Heil Proset with HC 4 Element
Paddles: Bencher and March R3 Paddle
Rotor Controllers: Two Ham 4 Controllers

Antennas

160 Meter Inverted L (with 60 ground radials)
80 Meter Dipole @ 85 ft
80  Meter Fullwave Horizontal Loop at 45 ft
40 Meter Cushcraft 40-2CD @ 75 ft (rotatable)
20/15/10 Meters Force 12 C3E @ 87 ft (rotatable)
        Force 12 C3E @ 58 ft (rotatable)
        Force 12 C3E @ 25 ft (fixed Northeast or West for SS)
        (Effectively 2/2/2 on 20, 2/2/2 on 15 and 4/4/4 on 10)
Receive Reversible 500 ft Beverages NE/SW and NW/SE

Tower
Rohn 25G 75 ft
Guyed with 1/4 inch EHS at 3 places on the tower
Top guy @ 90 ft from tower base
Middle and Bottom guys @ 60 ft from tower base
Main Rotor Ham IV
Sidewinder Side mount with Ham II
(1) 700 ft run of Hardline (3/4 inch 75 ohm)
24 ft Chrome Molly Steel Mast

Antenna Switching and Stacking
6 x 2 Array Solutions SixPak
Stack Match (all 3 tribanders are connected to the Stack Match)
Dual Feed line Option (Splits stack â?" Upper antenna from bottom 2)