[3830] SS SSB K5KG SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 21 06:53:10 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5KG
Station: K5KG

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WCF

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Last five sections were NLI, SC, DE, VT, and PR.  A lucky find was a group of PR
stations on 28,315 rag chewing in Spanish.  I managed to break in and work four
of them in my broken-Spanish.  After a few minutes, KH2RU/KP4 joined in
speaking English, so I worked him too.  I spotted him, and he took over the
rapidly-growing pileup, even though he said he was not in the contest.
Hopefully, he stayed long enough to satisfy the masses.

On Sunday afternoon, I turned the station over to Jim, K8MR, who was visiting
from Ohio.  Being fresh meat at that time, Jim had a strong run to the finish.

I managed to work four ND stations, and Jim worked a fifth, N0UD, who was my
host when I went to ND last year for SS CW.  The op at W0JER was N7IV, a
regular in SS from ND.  I commented to N7IV, that there were a lot of ND
stations this year, and he said that their section manager, Lynn, W0ND, had
encouraged them to get on.  Tnx Lynn, it worked!

Loaded my log into K0RC's Log Analyzer, and squeezed out the following stats:

Sections most worked
MDC - 42
VA - 30
MN - 29