[3830] SS SSB K4B(WX3B) Multi-Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 21 11:15:59 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K4B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: K4VV

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to Jack Hammett K4VV and Sharon for the use of their great super-station
and creature comforts of their well-appointed lower living area.

I was so excited about Sweepstakes SSB (a favorite of mine) that I couldn't
sleep Friday night and was actually exhausted by the time the contest started.
Ran out of steam just before midnight and went to bed.

Couldn't sleep - overtired!  Finally got to sleep at about 2:30am, and slept
well until 8:30am....got back in front of the radio with a headache at 9:30am.

At 2:00pm after some food and aspirin, I started having a great time and the
rates magically improved.  Had to tough it out and try for 1,500 QSOs - I got
close and the rate steadily improved until contest end...

40 meters was definitely the highlight for me, the band was open all over the
place and kept on giving.  20 was not the immediate "gold rush" it has been at
contest start - however it was very productive.

It was fun coaching a record number of new participants (at least 10) through
the exchange.  I'm happy to see this type of interest!

Jack's station plays like a dream with his FT-1000mp's and Acom 2000
amplifiers.  It also helps that there are just stacks upon stacks of
monobanders everywhere you look, and we are on a beautiful hilltop location in
the woods.

Congratulations to Bill K3WI (using K4VV) on a great score and Dennis N8IVN
(using KV3B) on his improved score and first ever sweep!

Now it's time to get ready for some contests with a less lengthy exchange:
CQWW CW, 160, and the 10 meter contest, which should be particularly fun this
year!

73,

Jim   WX3B