[3830] SS SSB VE3MGY Multi-Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 21 12:36:54 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY + OPS
Station: VE3MGY

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: ONTARIO
Operating Time (hrs): ~20

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

It was a double first - getting my first Sweep ever - and having the XYL
operating!!!! A good luck charm perhaps?? Also my first ever Multi-Op. With the
problems I had in the CQWW SSB with the 10 and 15 meter antennas causing the
computer to lock up I was limited to 20,40 and 80 meters for this SS and never
even dreamed of being competitive - let alone a sweep!! The plan was just to
operate a few hours and have some fun running and practice some SO2R along the
way.

Started out goofing around Saturday night with the XYL and she made some QSO's
and it was alot of fun for both of us. Then I started running for the fun of it
and for whatever reason 80M just went wild!! Hit 200/hr on the rate meter and
150/hr many times, which is not bad the the Sweep Stakes and the long
exchange!! But at around 0800Z my 80M tuner blew up so that was the end of the
SO2R plans for Sunday. Stayed on 80M with the backup tuner and set a new PB for
QSO's, score, and a first ever sweep - which happened at contest hour 17.5
( 1550Z ) I Had every section call me except for PAC and AK during the
contest.

With the high rates I was never tired except for the graveyard hours from 0900Z
- 1100Z Sunday morning. And Family responsibilities had me QRT at 1900Z but I
was really thrilled how things worked out. And to think I planned really big
goals in so many sweepstakes in the past that for whatever reason just fell
short - then I plan nothing big for this one - and had 2 less bands to operate
on to boot - and look what happens!! As for THE 2012 Sweeps I am already NOT
planning anything HI HI.

Thanks for all the QSO's and repeats when needed!!

73,
Brian
VE3MGY