[3830] SS SSB W5RU(@KN5O) Multi-Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 21 19:39:55 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W5RU
Operator(s): KN5O K1DW W5WZ K5ER KG5VK NX8G
Station: KN5O

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Covington, LA

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Steve KG5VK, Scott W5WZ and Mark K5ER for coming to the KN5O QTH
to help the W5RU Contest Team for the SS Phone.  Also thanks to W5RU regulars
Dallas, K1DW and Rex, NX8G.  We all had a great time this weekend.  Even the
weather cooperated - no thunderstorms.

So in anticipation that one of our key issues was going to be the
familiarization of the antenna switching and the two operating position's
interlock, Steve, Scott and Mark drove into town Friday nite.  Well all went
out and had a great meal at a new restaurant in my area.  Nothing better than
fresh LA seafood for a wonderful evening meal and the guys gave the place
two-thumbs up.  They were able to get a lot of rest into Saturday morning.

We began to practice TO2R (two-op, 2 radios) late Saturday morning. In about an
hour, they quickly got the hang of it.  But then, when you are actually into the
real thing, it seems like an eternity when you get locked out and can't respond
as quickly as you would like.  Fears of losing the RUN freq or your contact
tuning away begins to set in.  The initial reaction was to reach for the
emergency "break" button, but as time went on, that became less of an issue as
they got used to the semaphores and the rythem.  But still, table knocking and
finger gestures were ever present!  Regardless, I got some great feedback for
station improvements and will try to work on those for next year.

Overall it was a success and I think we achieved just about all our goals...
Over 2000 Qs, a sweep during the initial period of operating (before taking our
first 4-to-5 hour break) and bettering our Multi-HP 6th place finish of last
year.  This year I noted the run rate which was 100+ for 8 hours straight (one
exception was a 97Q run rate that snuck in, but that's close enough for
government work, ha!)  But then, during the last two hours, the run rate fell
quickly.  It seemed too soon to me, but nonetheless, it was an indication for
us to get ready to stop, which we did by roughly 1:00AM local time.  And
fortunately for us, just a few minutes before we took the break, we nabbed PR
on 40 for our SWEEP.  The timing couldn't have been better.

Congratulations again goes to the W6YI group.  Not really knowing how well we
were doing after a couple of hours into the contest, when we worked them early
on and they were apx 150 Qs ahead, we knew it was going to be a tough one.
Given their location with 10 and 15 on the upswing, they made the most of those
two bands as we had expected they would.. Unfortunately, the skip zone on those
bands is too long for us to have any chance of really making a lot of domestic
Qs. Essentially it is still a 3 and a half band contest for us - 40, 20 (and we
all know how tough those bands can be QRM-wise), a mix of 80 and 15 and now this
year, a dash of 10 that we did not have before.  In the past, we have depended
on 80M, but with the high bands now usable for both coasts of the USA, 80M
activity appears to be lower.  I can see that in many of the posted scores for
the central US states.

Not be forgotten, I am blessed to have a wonderful and understanding XYL who
really helped me make sure our guests were comfortable and that they had a
great time with lots of food.  Lorraine spent Saturday with Scott's XYL Sharon
and their 4 kids, ages 14, 12, 10 & 8 (and who are all hams) on an all day
excursion into the New Orleans French Quarter.  They had a grand time,
especially at Cafe Du Monde for the beignets with that powdered sugar that goes
everywhere!

Again, thanks to all of you for being there to make this contest.  We plan to
be in the CQWW CW next weekend, but maybe not so much, as getting folks to
staff a Multi-class operation has not been successful to date.  Are there any
takers out there?  Call or email me.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

73,
Ted
KN5O for W5RU

Team W5RU - Scott W5WZ, Mark K5ER, Steve KG5VK, Dallas K1DW, Rex NX8G and Ted
KN5O

Station information @ http://www.qrz.com/dB/KN5O