[3830] SS SSB N5RZ Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 22 17:57:46 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N5RZ
Operator(s): N5RZ
Station: N5RZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 13:30

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Well --- another two operation contest from the N5RZ QTH.  Deborah, KF5HHD was
at one operating position getting first choice on the bands/antennas, and I got
whatever else was available. The antennas available were an 80M inverted vee,
40M rotary dipole, TH6DXX, and a 3 el 15M yagi with high SWR above 21250.

Started on 15M at the beginning on the TH6DXX since KF5HHD was still at work.
decent rate till I had to QRT at 2250 to go to a dinner/dance.

Got back & I got on 80M & HHD got on 40M.  I had the owner of the oilfield
electric lines out Saturday morning to fix the noisy pole I found, and was
crystal clear when they left.  However the noise was back in the evening making
the east beverage pretty useless - still have some work to do on that pole -
ugggh.

Got back on Sunday morning - me on 10M and Deborah on 15M. There was a legal
limit antenna tuner at her operating position so she could use the 3 el 15M
yagi no problem.   We swapped off later on & I got 15M & she went to 10M. Had
to crank the solid state amp down to about 100-150W so it wouldn't fault into
the hi SWR.

I was on 15M off and on between some other chores until right before sunset
when I went to 40M.  Wow - over 300 Q's in just over 3 hours on 40M - my best
sustained rate of the contest!   And zero QSO's on 20M.  Missed VT and KP4
since I didn't tune much, none called in, and never ran across either when I
was doing S&P on 15M.

Deborah did well in her second Phone SS (passed her Extra in September!) - she
had 699/76 in about 12 hours - she missed VT, NL, KP4 & KP2.

N5RZ Rig: Elecraft K3 + Tokyo Hy-Power HL1.5KFX about 800-900W except Sunday
afternoon on 15M

KF5HHD rig:  K3 + Alpha 87

Thanks to all for the QSO's & CU in the next one!

73,  Gator