[3830] CQWW CW K6CTA SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 27 14:54:09 PST 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K6CTA
Operator(s): K6CTA
Station: K6CTA

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: CA

   40:   48    16       44
   20:   51    26       43
   15:   93    27       58
   10:   73    21       56

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

With both daughters home from college, I didn't have a lot of time for the
contest (family first!). So I spent the time that I had chasing
countries/zones. Friday and Saturday (when I was on) were great, but the few
hours on Sunday had some very odd propagation. Lots of echoes on 15, and 10
seemed to change every 30 minutes or so. 20 on Sunday seemed backward at
times....stuff that should have been SP was LP instead! In any event, still fun
to see conditions so much better this year.

I also used the contest to check out the station, which has seen some changes.
The 10-15-20 antenna is still the same; an 8 element interlaced open sleeve
yagi, but the lower bands have anew antenna. Due to some changes we made on the
property, I retire the old antenna and put up a DX Engineering 43' vertical. I
must say that it played very well. I have an excellent ground field, which
helps. Since it needs a tuner, and I didn’t want to have to use my manual
tuner, I took a leap of faith and got a MFJ 998. Works great - put 1200-1500
watts through it with no hiccups at all. Having an auto tuner is much easier -
and convenient.

Always fun....thanks for the Q's! See you in the 10M contest.

73,
Ed - K6CTA

Equip:
Elecraft K3/P3