[3830] CQWW CW NN7SS(K6UFO) SOAB(A) QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Nov 27 17:17:25 PST 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: SOAB(A) QRP
QTH: WA

   20:   79    22       77
   15:   33    18       31
   10:   47    20       46

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Simple goal: Work 100 countries QRP. Should be easier
than it was on SSB, but we'll see...

10m and 15m didn't last very long at the start, but 20m
was open worldwide. By the end of the second hour I had
40 countries. Rather than suffer on the low bands QRP,
I slept.

At my sunrise I could start working Europeans on 20m. Quick
runs up to 15m and 10m showed many more stations but many
too weak for my QRP. By 20z I had 86 countries, and took
a lunch break.

I often had to turn off Skimmer spots, as they were just
flooding the bandmap with calls I couldn't hear. "Human"
spots seemed plentiful enough.

The afternoon provided all the usual Caribbean, South
America, and Pacific/Asia - Thanks! I ended the day
Saturday (24Z) with 116 DXCC countries, same as my
TOTAL on SSB weekend. So yes, I can work 100 DXCC
countries QRP in a single weekend - in fact in just
the first 24 hours!

I took it easy after that, just checking now and then
for anything new and loud enough to be QRP-workable.
Sunday morning had a big wind and rain storm, bringing
extra noise, and I hard time working new stations - or
maybe I already had all the "easy" ones. I managed a
handful of new European countries.  I heard at least
another dozen countries that I just couldn't work QRP.
There were another two dozen countries spotted that I
couldn't hear at all - if they really existed.

Final total: 126 unique DXCC countries while QRP!

NN7SS Burt WA (K6UFO op)

10,15,20m: C-31XR at 71ft, C-3 53ft, 3el Steppir 40 ft
One Yaesu FT-1000MP turned down to 5 watts
Writelog software and microHAM controller