[3830] CQWW CW K1AR SOAB(A) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 28 09:55:21 PST 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K1AR
Operator(s): K1AR
Station: K1AR

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NH

  160:   80    15       56
   80:  343    23      100
   40:  808    36      131
   20:  533    39      132
   15:  622    35      137
   10:  801    32      137

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Some of you may not realize that my home station (where I operated this weekend)
is nothing more than a few wires in my backyard trees. This weekend, I decided
to see what I could do with this type of set-up. Here are a few  brief
comments:

1) I actually forgot the limitations of the station many times during the
contest and just operated like always. I'm now convinced that much of small
station behavior is in the operator's head. Naturally, the combination of being
Mitchell Pond and the Northeast helps a ton.

2) 15/10 brought huge pile-ups during early openings-- even at my place. Simply
amazing. I worked about 100 guys in one 30 minute stretch on 15M.

3) Packet/RBN made the contest fun in that I could chase a lot of stuff and see
how the dipole worked in real pileups. Note: It works! The downside is that I
spent a lot of time moving around calling guys instead of running them. And,
there is the not-so-small issue of tuning my MN-2000 for each band (except 40
and 160).

4) Not using rotators was really interesting. I had stuff call that I never
would have heard on big beams and it was fun to just jump into a pileup and not
worry where the beam was pointing.

Everything worked fine with the exception of 160/80M line noise (Note to self:
people use beverages for a reason, lid). Overall, I'd call the experiment
interesting or even a success in some ways.

A special word of thanks go to my station host (oh, wait -- that's me!) and the
sun.

73, John, K1AR