[3830] CQWW CW VE7CC(@VE7SV) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 28 13:55:35 PST 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE7CC
Operator(s): VE7CC
Station: VE7SV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC

  160:   98    14       25
   80:  589    26       63
   40:  830    35      110
   20:  849    37      103
   15:  600    33       93
   10:  410    28       83

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

A special thanks to Dale VE7SV for the loan of his super station.  He spends all
his time building towers and antennas and yet many times is not even here to
enjoy the results of his hard work.  This station usually operates as VE7SV
multi op in this contest.  However, this year many of the other operators were
unable to be here.  So I ran single op.

The weather in this area has been terrible lately.  Very high winds causing
lots of downed trees and power outages.  Some minor antenna damage here which
was repaired before the contest.  Fortunately they managed to stay operational
during the contest, except for one 160 meter inverted vee.  There were several
power blackouts during the contest.  The worst one lasting 2 hours 20 minutes.
This one occurred at 24 hours into the contest.  I thought it was all over.  I
phoned the power company to report it.  They told me they had several reports.
They said they were investigating it and by the way, did I have any idea what
caused it.  I drove around looking for the cause, but was unable to find
anything, so I went back and took a break until the lights came back on.  Dale,
we need a generator!

Now for the band conditions here.  Although 10 and 15 were open pretty well,
the European openings were really short.  20 was open to Europe the middle of
second night, but all signals were nothing but auroral buzz.  Otherwise 20 was
great, but suffered from lack of activity due to everyone being on other bands.
 40 was simply amazing.  European signals were huge most of the time.  Near the
end I found I could no longer run on 20, 15, or 10 so I went to 40 to see what
was happening, even though it was still daylight here.  I spent the last 45
minutes there enjoying the best opening to Europe of the whole contest.
Although there wasn't a lot of activity I managed to easily work TA, EA9, ER,
A45, etc.  80 and even 160 were open better than I expected, although activity
was certainly hurting.

As usual I spent too much time chasing mults and not enough time running.

Lee