[3830] CQWW CW LZ1AQ SOSB(A)/20 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 28 14:34:18 PST 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: LZ1AQ
Operator(s): LZ1AQ
Station: LZ1AQ

Class: SOSB(A)/20 LP
QTH: nr Sofia

   20:  794    34      112

I like CW contests and CQ WW is my favorite.  This year I tried to do my best on
20 m with a low power and a simple antenna to see what is possible.

Equipment:
rx 1  - SDR Winrad with home made  hardware. Synchronized by frequency with
IC756pro.
rx 2  - IC756 pro
rx 3   SDR with CW skimmer with wideband magnetic loop.
TX  	 IC756pro + external ATU, the frequency can be controlled by the Winrad
SDR and Cwskimmer telnet window.

Antennas:
1 el.  rotary delta loop, 15 m up, open wire feeder.

PC &  Software:
log TR4W   and Winrad on PC#1, CWskimmer on PC#2  as telnet server.

QTH:
rural,  deep valley   -  quiet village but east and west horizon is closed
below 30 deg! No Internet was available!

Observations and suggestions:
1. CW skimmer increased substantially not only the multipliers number  but also
finding cq stations in s/p mode.  I estimate    that  at least 10 to 15 mults
are due to Cwskimmer. The  cw decoding capability of the skimmer was
surprisingly reliable.

2.Tuning knob of IC756 was used very rarely. The tuning was performed by
clicking on Winrad display or on Cwskimmer telnet   list.

3. CQ mode must be used not more than 30 % of the time due to the low power and
simple antenna. Only europian runs can be performed and usually after 30 min of
cq run the band is “exhausted”.

4. After 18:000 local time  the QSO rate dropped drastically  - the evening
hours are not for  this tx and antenna setup.

5. The multiplier number is decent but the QSO number is low.  I estimated that
with motivated efforts and 30 hours of working time  above 1000 qso (250 - 300
000 pnts) can be reached with this setup.

6. The CQ run now is possible even with this low power setup â€" these days too
many stations are equipped with good antennas, dx clusters and skimmers so be
sure you are spotted!

7. It is a time for  a mobile setup of M/2 or M/M low power contest station
from quiet rural place without Internet  or even AC power!  With lightweight
simple beams and verticals made from fishing rods  a result of 8 M points from
Europe is possible and it will be a grate fun!

I had a grate fun!

73,  Chavdar LZ1AQ   www.lz1aq.signacor.com, lz1aq at abv.bg