[3830] CQWW CW KT8K SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 28 17:55:29 PST 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EN82cg SE Michigan

  160:    2     2        2
   80:   16     5        7
   40:  151    12       50
   20:  185    17       57
   15:  206    18       75
   10:  198    15       57

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Best conditions I can remember!!  The noise level was so low and propagation was
so good that I got through many pileups on the first or second call - amazing
considering my 5W and wires in the trees. It was also amazing to see 10, 15,
and 20m all full simultaneously, with stations as high as 150 kHz above the
bottom of the band on all three - I felt sorry for the digital folks as they
got "steamrollered" by the CW ops, even after a bunch of them on 20m moved up
to 14120 kHz.

I did have plenty of requests for repeats, and I thank those of you who stuck
with me to complete the QSO's, but there were a lot less requests than I'm used
to.  With conditions like that, I had a blast!  I had to take time off for
holiday family visits or I would have done even better, and maybe I will ...
next year.

As usual it was almost all search and pounce for me.  I tried to run a number
of times but the best run was 3 QSO's in 10 minutes - totally unsuitable when I
had an hour of 70 doing S&P and the rate meter sometimes hovering around 100.

Great moments:  In the middle of a band that was just one massive European
pileup I found VK6LW and worked him through a storm of QRM that was
indescribable.  Later I worked another Australian station in similar
circumstances on a different band, which makes two of the seven VK's I've
worked in the past ten years.

At another point I was making one last quick pass across 10m when deep in the
static I heard a tiny signal.  I stopped and listened, and was glad I did
because I could just barely hear ZS1EL.  With nothing to lose I sent my
callsign, expecting the chances of being heard to be similar to those of a
snowball in Hades.  To my amazement he heard my first call and we made the
exchange - a double multiplier and another thrilling experience with the magic
of radio!

This contest was a huge personal best for me, and if you had half as much fun
as I did you had a ball, too.