[3830] CQWW CW N7ZG SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 28 19:17:18 PST 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N7ZG
Operator(s): N7ZG
Station: N7ZG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Harstine

  160:   10     7        6
   80:   89    20       33
   40:  277    27       74
   20:  331    29       77
   15:  262    31       76
   10:  286    27       62

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

First things first lets get the bad news out of the way.   About 10 minutes into
the contest I lost the finals in one of the K3s.   So, for the most part I had
to do things the old fashioned way (SO1R).   I was able to use the radio
running 12 watts out but there were few 2nd radio contacts for this one.   I
hope Elecraft will help me out here.

Conditions were great once again but not quite as good as the SSB leg.   The
notable exception was 40M.   I worked many europeans with single calls.   It
felt just like 20M.   Condx were so good that I was actually able to work C5A
easily (as well as a few ZN 16 stations) with 12 watts!

10M was not nearly as good as the SSB leg.  No ZN 15 Qs were had.   There were
more ZN 35, 36, 37 stations this time out and they were load.  I didn't hear
ST2AR this time out.  So, no ZN 34.  Notably absent from the log was ZN 40.

80M was in good shape as well.   The most memorable contact was working ZD8W on
80.   I was able to easily run JA on all bands except 160.  The plan is to put
up phased verticals this summer and a 3 element wire beam for 80.

This was my first CQWW CW from the new station.  At this point I have
monobanders for 10-40.   This summer it will be time to get the lower antennas
on the towers so that I can have 2 high stacks to EU and a dedicated 10M stack
to JA.

I managed to operate almost all 48 hours of the contest except for a 90 minute
nap the first night.   I was too busy to sleep due to the JA run on 40M the
second night.   All in all it was an amazing year for JA Qs.  I had a total of
578 contacts with ZN 25.  140 of those were 40M alone.  If it weren't for this
late night JA run I would have slept to be sharp for the EU opening on Sunday
morning.   I tried to run EU but with little success due the the down condx
ostensibly resulting from the elevated A index on the second day.   I know for
sure that I couldn't do SO2R without at least some sleep.

The score should should set a new W7 record if log checking holds out and no
one posts a better score.

With the 10M condx of late I hope to be on for the ARRL 10M contest.

Hope to CU then!

73,
Guy