[3830] CQWW CW W3EF SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Nov 30 14:50:56 PST 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W3EF
Operator(s): W3EF
Station: W3EF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FM19LA (MD)

  160:   22     8       11
   80:   93    16       47
   40:  851    28       94
   20:  460    30       95
   15:  540    29       94
   10:  936    29       94

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I am still in shock about this unbelieveable score.  Whether or not it turns out
to be a winner, it's an even better feeling than I had at T32C last month when
we broke the DXpedition record.  Far exceeding your own expectations is what
it's about, I think.

Everything clicked. (OK, the alarm clock, or whoever set it ;-), failed and
lost me an hour of the Sunday morning dawn run, and the mult radio remote
control overheated and was inoperable for the last four hours of the contest
--but I'm not complaining!).  More or less the entire station, including the
6-el 10m beam at 136' (my highest antenna) that has been inoperative due to an
underground cable fault since it was installed almost 3 years go, was up and
running - a first!  And both 10m and 40m to Europe were, as K1VR likes to say,
bottomless.

I missed a lot of zones -- 24 (heard many times), 23 (heard once), 26 (not
heard), 28 (heard twice), 39 (not heard)... but I also managed to catch a fair
number of the zones in all the expected places, without many gaps.  160 and 80
were, well, pitiful -- or maybe my antennas or technique there need help (not a
new feeling).  But there was plenty to work for most of the contest, including a
great first night on 40 and 20, which stayed open the whole time.  And 10 was,
well, BACK!!!

I could not believe that at the 24 hour mark I was already at 2.2 million,
which was already close to a personal best.  The final score, obviously, was
also a personal best and with luck should be a record-breaker, if not a
record-setter.  Clearly N1UR and, I'm guessing, K1BX, also broke the LP record
-- good company and great achievements all!

For those who look at this score and say "what did he do differently from
before?" the only thing I can offer (besides that 10m beam) is my SO2R
technique, which just keeps improving.  It's like a language that I continue to
learn, even 10 years on.  And N1MM helps a lot -- if you haven't tried it, try
it!

See you in ARRL DX CW, if not before....

73 from HB9,

Maury W3EF