[3830] CaQP K6Z M/MCntyExp HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Oct 3 14:04:11 PDT 2011

                    California QSO Party

Call: K6Z
Operator(s): W1MD, WA1Z, K6VR, K6ZZ, KI6VC, N6KZ, N6WIN, W6PH
Station: K6Z

Class: M/MCntyExp HP
QTH: Inyo County

  160:    83     50
   20:   397   1005
--------------------
Total:  1632   3304  Mults = 58  Total Score = 666,014

Club: Eastside Contest Group

Comments:

Soap Box:

Another excellent CQP in the books, and a very memorable one for our Team.  A
big Thank You to the NCCC for all the hard work that goes into sponsoring the
contest.

Station Description:
Four stations running N1MM Version 11.9.3 in a wireless network.

10 Meters: IC-7000, 30L-1, 4 element homebrew beam at 30’, Ops: KI6VC, N6KZ
15/80 Meters: K3, SB-220, 5 element homebrew beam at 48’, Quarter Wave Sloper
for 80M, Ops: N6WIN, K6ZZ
20/160 Meters: K3, LK-500ZB, 3 element homebrew beam at 48’, Inverted-L for
160M, Ops: W1MD, WA1Z
40 Meters: IC-7000, AL-80A, 40-2CD at 48’, Ops: W6PH, K6VR

Antennas were installed on AB-577 military surplus portable masts and a 30’
homebrew tower trailer.

Commentary:

Building on our efforts from last year, we set up Field Day style again at
W6PH’s cabin outside of Lone Pine under the shadow of Mount Whitney.
Thankfully God put Mount Whitney on the west side of Lone Pine.  We moved to
this location from our customary location at Fossil Falls three years ago.
When W6PH heard about our BBQ and homebrew, it was more than he could handle so
he invited us to join him!

With 10 Meters expected to be viable this year, we felt a fourth station would
be worth a shot.  We needed more operators and were fortunate to have Tim,
N6WIN join us as well as Marty, W1MD and Bob, WA1Z.  Tim, Marty and Bob are all
excellent Ops and all around good dudes and made great additions to the Team.
W1MD and WA1Z flew all the way from the East Coast just to participate in the
CQP.  K6VR drove from Colorado and N6KZ from Arizona.  Now that’s dedication.
 It really shows how much fun a CQP County Expedition can be (or could it be the
homebrew…Hmmm).

We had several goals this year the first of which was to have fun.  Everyone
got along great and chipped in when needed to set things up, troubleshoot
problems, cook, clean, take things down, etc.  We were shooting for a win and
figured we had a good shot of beating the old 1999 MM County Expedition record
if 10 Meters opened.  Even without 10 Meters our claimed score beats the old
record, so we were happy to see that.

Murphy did show up this year.  No getting around that.  We had an amplifier
failure on 10 Meters followed by a radio failure on 10 Meters so we had to do a
lot of switching things around to keep things going.  We lost about an hour of
prime time on 10 Meters.  When the contest started we found that one station
was erroneously set to Single Op instead of Multi-Multi so our serial numbers
were all goofed up.  We sorted that out and things were fine after that.  For
the most part, everything seemed to work well.

Thanks for the QSO’s.

Bob, K6ZZ