[3830] SAC SSB SJ6R(SM6LRR) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Oct 13 08:18:50 PDT 2011

                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, SSB

Call: SJ6R
Operator(s): SM6LRR
Station: SM5PHU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Gusum

Total: 1556   214  Total Score = 806,780

Club: Top of Europe Contesters

Comments:

I had decided to work SAC from my Moscow location, but the closer I got to the
starting date, I got the desire to work from Sweden and support my Swedish
National Team in the Polar Battle.

Sent a message on the reflectors to see if any Swedish station was available.
Joe, SM5PHU (SM5J) replied almost immediately and told me he had no chance to
activate his own station that weekend.

I took the flight from Moscow on the Friday before the contest and was driven
to Gusum (some 200 km south of Stockholm) by SM5PHU with harmonics Klara and
Erik.

The station was more or less ready, but I wanted to improve 80 meters by adding
a wire vertical. This took a few hours together with Joe and everything was
ready and set some 15 minutes before the contest.

10 meters was in good shape so decided to start there. We hade decided with a
few other SM stations to submit our online scores to the Russian excellent
online score site http://www.cqcontest.ru/readscore.jsp

SE5E (Ingo) deciced to start on 15 meters and got a fantastic first hour and I
started to get nervous for the final score and the internal SE5E-SJ6R battle.

My goals for the contest was to work at least 1500 QSOs and participate with
700.000 points for Sweden.

I got some nice US runs on 10 meters and collected valueable points and
multipliers (that would later prove very useful).

Conditions and activity was excellent the first third of the contest, but then
everything changed completely. I even had problems to hear all JA stations that
SE5E worked, and I realized that he would recover the 100.000 point difference
we had a few hours before the contest unless I could change the situation
somehow. I realized that I had relatively few QSOs and mults on 20 meters, so
my only chance was to turn the antenna south and work a lot of Italians and
Balkan stations. They did not give as high average point as the JAs for 15
meters, but still enough to keep the distance to SE5E with 50.000 points
(Claimed Scores).  Thanks for great battle and stimulation Ingo via the
livescore page!

Finland made a fantastic effort in the SSB leg as well and Sweden must lick the
wounds and relly prepare much better for SAC 2012.

Thanks to all stations from outside Scandinavia that made this contest an
exciting one! See you on the bands in SAC again!

Thank you Jonas SM5PHU for the great hospitality to let me use your nice
station!

Equipment:

ICOM 756 PRO3
ACOM 1000 Linear (1 kW)