[3830] Oceania CW NH2T(N2NL) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Oct 15 15:48:11 PDT 2011

                    Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: NH2T
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: N2NL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Guam

  160:    4     3
   80:    4     4
   40:   61    51
   20:    1     1
   15:  378   244
   10:  408   250
-------------------
Total:  856   553  Total Score = 1,330,518

I had originally planned on putting in a full 24 hour effort, however delays in
a large project at work had me worn out going into the weekend.  Still, the
contest started with a "bang" with great conditions on 10 and 15m.  The 10m EU
pileups were such that I had to operate split, with a 1.5KC wide spread of
callers, many of which who were rambunctious, slowing the overall rate and
causing some frustration.

As good as the high band conditions were, I could get nothing going on the low
bands.  I do pretty well on 80m, and when the W3LPL skimmer didn't pick me up,
I knew conditions were really bad.  Signals on 40m out of NA were pretty weak
with absorption and seemed to be arriving from a high angle so I couldn't use
the Beverage to null the YB SSB QRM and BY OTH radar.

With the prospect of a very long night with no low band propagation, I made a
command decision to go part time and to have fun on the high bands.

10m rates in the morning into NA were just as good as the previous evening into
EU.

I'm glad that I made the decision to go part time, as it was an easy decision
to QSY to 12m during the NA run to try to catch VE2TKH in zone 2.  He called in
to finish WAZ on that band, and we successfully QSYed to 10m for my 2nd to last
zone there.  I'm now down to 10 zones needed to complete 9BWAZ from Guam.

Thanks all for the QSOS!  Thanks also to a contest committee that ranks among
the best.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL