[3830] CQWW SSB NN7SS(K6UFO) SOAB(A) QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 30 16:53:18 PDT 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: SOAB(A) QRP
QTH: WA

   20:   48    19       48
   15:   42    23       41
   10:   35    13       32

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Yes, I can work DXCC-QRP in one weekend!
Final tally: 116 DXCC Countries.

I wasn't ready to put in long hours on SSB, as I was feeling
under the weather. So I just tried to see if I could work DXCC
QRP. There's even a category: Single Operator Assisted QRP
All-Band. I even managed to get packet spots working :-)

During the contest I stopped to research and fix configuration
issues with the microHAM controller, and to pull-out the audio
DSP unit that had AGC problems with the loud SSB QRM.  I only
worked 20, 15 and 10m, since low-band QRP is not better than
sleeping.

Saturday morning provided many Europeans. After the "easy"
countries were worked, it was great to skip the pileups on
"already-worked" countries. Europeans could be heard on 10m
but were hard to work QRP, so 15m and 20m more successful.
The afternoon provided all the usual Caribbean, South America,
and Pacific/Asia - Thanks! I ended the day Saturday with 90
DXCC countries.

Sunday morning brought enough new European countries to
cross the 100 country finish line. I took some time off to
listen for a RTTY DX station - easier on the ears.  Then I
just checked SSB every hour or two to see if I could add a
few more countries. I heard at least another dozen countries
on 10m that I just couldn't work QRP.

Heard too much of the usual phone antics: last two letters,
not listening, calling out of turn, tuning up amps on the DX
frequency, DX not identifying. I'm glad they'll all be
disqualified for violating the DX Code of Conduct.

NN7SS Burt WA (K6UFO op)

10,15,20m: C-31XR at 71ft, C-3 53ft, 3el Steppir 40 ft
One Yaesu FT-1000MP turned down to 5 watts
Writelog software and microHAM controller